Check out these fantastic small groups for Spring 2019!
Small groups are at the very heart of our community. These groups offer a place to belong, be known and to grow. We hope you'll check out one (or more!) of these groups this fall.
Feel free to reach out to any of the group leaders directly (listed below) for more information. Groups will begin meeting in late January or as listed below.
If you'd like help figuring out which group might be a good fit for you, email Beth Faga at email@example.com.
Spring 2019 Small Groups
Black Dignity in a World of Whiteness
• Book study of Austin Channing Brown’s book, “I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World of Whiteness”
• People of all ethnic and racial identities welcome
• Meets six Mondays in Cedar Rapids, 7-8:30 pm, beginning Feb 4th
• We’ll discuss chapters from the book and will watch a 30-min video each meeting. Videos include Austin Channing Brown’s discussions on race with guests Dr. Brenda Salter McNeil, Lecrae, Jen Hatmaker, Audrey Velez, and Jenny Booth Potter.
• Led by Pam Larson and Karyn Hunt, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dog Park Small Group
• Does hanging out with your dog, your friends, and/or your friends’ dogs sound like your type of party?
• Join us at the Thornberry Dog Park in Iowa City (if it’s cold, maybe we’ll all go for puppucinos afterward).
• Don’t have a dog, but love them? Come — we’d love to have you!
• Contact James & Meghan Kincade to be put on the email list for dates and times, email@example.com
• Regular hiking in the Johnson County area once the weather warms up
• Moderate intensity hikes (3-8 miles on trails); all ages welcome
• Led by Paul & Judy McRoberts with Lori Chasse. Contact Judy to be put on the email list firstname.lastname@example.org.
Life Design: Exploring Self/Identity Across Your Lifespan
• Together, we’ll explore our childhood influences and discover how they shaped us, how they help us name who we are today, and how they might guide us in determining where we’re headed (from simple daily choices to a career choice).
• Will meet for six weeks at the church, Sundays, 4:30-6 pm, Jan 27-March 3rd.
• Workbook will be provided; homework and sharing in group is always optional.
• Led by Jan Powers, email@example.com
• What’s left after deconstructing church and faith? Is this all there is, or is there “something more?”
• Join us for conversation and exercises on re-constructing an authentic faith, recovering the best of what our faith tradition has to offer while leaving the rest behind.
• Meets every other Tuesday night, beginning Feb 5th.
• Led by David Borger Germann, firstname.lastname@example.org
This Strange & Sacred Scripture Book Study
• Join as we explore the wild and wonderful Old Testament through a book study of Matthew Schlimm's, This Strange and Sacred Scripture: Wrestling with the Old Testament and its Oddities.
• The group will focus on discussion, questions, and food.
• We’ll meet Tuesday evenings, 7-8:30 at the Leman's, 230 S. 7th Ave, Iowa City, starting Jan 29th
• Led by Chris Hoklotubbe, Cornell College Professor of Religion, email@example.com
Tykes & Hikes
• Kid-friendly activities in nature; everyone welcome (kids or no kids)
• Will meet Friday mornings at a local park, starting Feb 1st; coffee shop as a rain location
• Come as you are; active, yet casual pace
• Led by Kelli O’Neil, firstname.lastname@example.org
Women’s Bible Study, Jesus: His Life & Teachings
• 8-week women’s bible study of the book of Matthew
• Meets Monday mornings, 9-10:30, at the church
• Let’s explore just how radical were Jesus’ life, words and actions. What does this mean for us today?
• Led by Becky Schaffner, email@example.com
Young Adults Brunch Bunch
• Looking to make meaningful friendships with other young adults? Love brunch? Are you between the ages of 21 and 30?
• Join the “Brunch Bunch” right after church the following dates and locations:
Sun, Jan 13th, Panera Bread, 213 1st Ave, Coralville (not at the mall)
Sun, Feb 17th, Casa Azul, 708 1st Ave, Coralville
Sun, Mar 10th, 30hop, 900 E 2nd Ave, Coralville
Sun, Apr 14th, Tin Roost, 840 W Penn St, NL
• Hosted by Annie Lindsley and Meghan Bullard, firstname.lastname@example.org